Friday, August 3, 2007

SOA Integration: RPC and Constraints

DevHawk responded to my hard work post. Most important responses first.

Beer.

Let's have a beer together someday and you can make up your own mind! I try to have formed my own opinion on some topic, but don't take my view so imortantly that other people are wrong. The back-and-forth of ideas during a technical discussion is a fun way to spend a few hours.

DevHawk said:
I might be going out on a limb here, I'll bet the core of John's problem with SOA is how toolkits like WCF all but force you to build RPC style services that can easily be modeled as method calls. That's certainly one of my problems with SOA.
You're right, that is something that causes me grief. When I see a WSDL with endless request/response operations I first think:
  1. That's going to cause some scalability/extensibility/versioning problems.
  2. It would be easier to build this design in CORBA[1]
Also, your quoting from Tim Ewald was spot on. 10 years of SOAP and most systems just are just strongly coupled RPC.

Also, I agree that all the tools (and examples and sample code and ...) nearly universally pushes a view of Web Services that is really just RPC.

[Note: I just switched from SOA to SOAP to WS. I'm trying to formulate another post that will articulate what I think distinguishes those from each other. Right now I'm just rambling...]

There is one other thing about SOA that drives me bonkers. I'm hooked on architecture by constraint - limit the system in certain key areas to promote certain use and benefits. The four tenets of SOA don't do it to me at all.

Tenet 1: Boundaries are Explicit
(Sure, but isn't everything? Ok, so SQL based integration strategies don't fall into this category. How do I build a good boundary? What will version better? What has a lower barrier to mashup/integration?)

Tenet 2: Services are Autonomous
(Right. This is a great goal, but provides no guidance or boundaries to achieve it.)

Tenet 3: Services share schema and contract, not class
(So do all of my OO programs with interface and classes. What is different from OO design that makes SOA something else?)

Tenet 4: Service compatibility is based upon policy
(This is a good start: the types and scope of policy can shape an architecture. The policies are the constraints in a system. There not really defined though, just a statement that they should be there.)

Ah, I feel better getting that out.

I asked "Where are the SOA Mashups?" and DevHawk responded:
That's easy! They're inside the firewall where you can't see them! ;)
I'm so glad I procrastinated writing this because now I can just refer to this InfoQ article. Gregor Hohpe's comment is pretty much my definition of mashup.
The project you describe is an integration, but multi-schema, star-integration with a huge effort doesn't fit my definition of mashup.

[1] Yes, I'm serious! I used OmniORB with Python to build systems for about 2 years. I think CORBA with C++ might be more work than most WSDL based systems, but this was a very efficient development environment for strongly typed interfaces.

No comments: