Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Thoughts, techniques, and references to achieving scalability

I'm going to use this label, scalability, to collect my thoughts and random ideas for how to make systems scale.

I'm going to start with a list of links that I recognize have been formative to my understanding of scalability.

SEDA: An Architecture for Highly Concurrent Server Applications and then C10K
  • Reading the SEDA thesis and then the C10K site helped me understand that simple imperative programming might not always scale...

REST: Architectural Styles and the Design of Network-based Software Architectures
Life Beyond Distributed Transactions

  • Most recently this paper by Pat Helland influenced my thinking: Transactions can only bound a single entity, but that entity can contain various pieces of data including historical communication entries to help support idempotent messaging.

No comments: